As you may already be aware, you should have a regular dental visit at least every 6 months or as recommended by your dental professional. You probably have heard that dental check-ups are important to keep your teeth and gums healthy. But, do you know why it’s so important?
Oral Health Is Important for Your Overall Health
Taking good care of your mouth, teeth and gums helps preserve your oral health by preventing bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease. Good oral and dental hygiene also helps protect your overall health. Poor oral health and gum disease may increase your risk of serious health problems like heart attack, stroke, diabetes and preterm labor.
Another way good oral health protects overall health is by showing early symptoms of disease. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, over 90% of systemic diseases produce oral signs. During regular dental exams, your dentist may notice symptoms or signs of these systemic diseases – and alert you to take steps that can protect your overall health.
Professional Dental Visits Provide Essential Preventative Care
Prevention is one of the most important values in modern health care. By preventing disease and diagnosing problems early, health care providers reduce patient discomfort and maximize their well-being while saving them time and money.
Prevention occurs both at home and in the dentist’s office. While patients’ at-home routines form the the foundation of their oral health, some preventative measures can only take place in a professional dental practice. Brushing and flossing, eating healthy foods and using fluoride help preserve dental health from home. But that’s only the beginning.
At your dental check-up, your dentist will:
- Prevent and Remove Plaque Build-up – Plaque is a sticky material that builds up on your teeth and causes decay, discoloration and disease. Your dental hygienist will use special tools to remove this deposit, called tartar, which hardens and remains on your teeth and gum line even with regular brushing and flossing.
- Prevent and Diagnose Tooth Decay – As plaque and tartar build up, they begin to destroy the outer layer of your teeth. Visiting your dentist prevents decay from damaging your teeth. When left untreated, decay causes cavities, pain and gum irritation.
- Prevent Gum Disease – Gum disease is a serious and incurable disease. However, dental professionals can spot the first signs of gum disease and provide care to prevent further development. If left untreated, gum disease causes swelling and pain in the gums, and can even lead to lost teeth. Your dentist can suggest regular dental hygienist cleanings as well as specialized hygiene products to prevent gum disease if your mouth shows signs of its development.
- Save You Money – By identifying potential and developing oral problems, your dentist can save you from costly and disruptive emergency procedures. Regular care and maintenance reduces your risk of developing gum disease or cavities, and makes you less likely to need costly dental work in the future.
- Improve Your Smile – At your appointment, your dental hygienist will use special tools to deep clean your teeth and remove plaque and tartar. Once your teeth are scaled, they may be polished with a gritty paste to remove surface stains and brighten your smile. You can also request professional whitening procedures or products in-office for a whiter, brighter smile.
When Was Your Last Check-up?
If it’s been more than six months since you’ve been to the dentist, schedule your next appointment today! We’ll get you examined and ensure you’re in good dental health, as well as help you with any potential issues you may be experiencing.
No Dental Insurance? No Problem!
At Rebol Family Dentistry, we want dental care to be accessible to everyone – dental insurance or not. For this reason, we’ve developed Dental Maintenance Plans. Our Maintenance Plans make it easy for Asheville residents to protect and improve their dental health! Unlike dental insurance, there are no yearly maximums, deductibles, pre-existing condition limitations, waiting periods or pre-authorization requirements.
With an easy monthly or yearly payment, your membership includes 2 routine cleanings and exams with necessary x-rays, 2 fluoride treatments, 1 emergency exam and more! Learn more about our Dental Maintenance Plans here.